Re: FAR-65-E

Subject: Re: FAR-65-E
From: Brian Rauchfuss - PCD <brauchfu@pcocd2.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:24:47
> To those of us who were wondering about partial completed kits, etc.
>
> <snip>
> [Amdt. 65-24, 44 FR 46781, Aug. 9, 1979]
>

> The term "Primary Builder" is what I find to be the variable.
> All kits for sale in the U.S. are evaluated for the 51% rule.
> Many have a wide margin, for example, the RV series.
> A thousand rivets is a lot of effort, and it's expected that these will need
> finishing and painting.
> Add to that a complicated instrument panel and you can see what I mean.
> Perhaps the company will tell us what is the marginal breakdown.

The 51% rule says that the majority of the tasks (not the majority of the
work) must be done by amateurs for education.  Either 1000 rivets or 10 rivets

could be considered a single task.

The primary builder must simply be one of the amateurs who built it.  The
primary builder *does not* have to do 51% of the work!!!  So, you can buy
a partially completed kit and finish it and still get the repair certificate.

Brian