RE: Fuel smell in cockpit

Subject: RE: Fuel smell in cockpit
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:23:09
>My XS Tri-Gear has always smelt of petrol, whatever the level of fuel in
>the tank, until the air is changed during flight. When opening up the
>smell is quite nauseating. Worse when using Mogas than it is with Avgas,
>but always very obvious. I have come to the conclusion that it must be a
>combination of all the things people have mentioned with perhaps the
>greatest contribution coming from the fuel filler pipe - because of its
>physical area.
>
>I intend to add the Europa mod to cover over the filler pipe.  I would
>also like to replace all the rubber fuel lines with something less
>'porous' if this is practical - and then look carefully at the Avelec
>fitting in the top of the tank.
>
>Mark   G-CHET

Mark,

The simplest is to go solid aluminium from the tank to the firewall, then
flexible to the engine. PTFE is the least porous of the flexibles, IMHO.

I have made tank outlet fittings with 3 NPT threaded holes to allow flared
fittings for fuel supply, fuel return and sight gauge / pressure sensor.
Email me privately ifyou would like more details.

Graham