Re: Fwd: Re: Fw: XS-KIT # A095 FOR SALE

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Fw: XS-KIT # A095 FOR SALE
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:28:28
Steve & Eileen Genotte wrote:

> I believe you're referring to the "Repairman's Certificate" and the
> answer is yes, the buyer would be eligible for it *providing* he
> completes at least 51% of the remainder of the project (and can document
> same).  Without this, I'd bet it would be nearly impossible to sell a
> partially completed kit (not that it's been a piece of cake to sell
> mine, heh).

Shouldn't be a problem, Steve.  Under Advisory Circular 65-23A, the
criteria for award of the Repairman's Certificate is merely to
"demonstrate to the certificatng FAA inspector his or her ability to
perform condition inspections...."  No mention is made of the
applicant showing 51% of anything, really.

Nevertheless, FAA's Form 8000-38 checklist can be used to comp the %
of the build performed by the applicant, and the way that checklist
works, all the time-consuming epoxy slopping and gluing of the early
stages count for little.  Although individual judgment among FAA
offices can vary, one should be able to argue that fabrication and
assembly of the airplane's systems in the latter stages is more
pertinent to demonstrating ability to perform the inspections.  Other
aircraft experience, such as permissible owner or other supervised
maintenance, can be cited, too.

Regards,
Fred F., A063