GPS Antenna location

Subject: GPS Antenna location
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:52:51
Hi all,

Several weeks ago there was an e-mail from
a builder asking about placement of the GPS
antenna for a Skymap IIIC.  I responded that
we had located ours in the top of the instrument
panel, with no problems.

I was wrong.  When originally testing this
location, the panel was not occupied with
wiring, instruments, radios, etc.  We have
recently discovered that the GPS signals
are weaker in this location than others locations,
even when the antenna is placed on top of the
panel, the signals are degraded. We
attribute it to interference, or reflections,
or whatever from the contents of the panel.

We are moving the antenna to the cockpit
overhead area.

Terry Seaver