Receiving GPS signals through the Europa fuselage

Subject: Receiving GPS signals through the Europa fuselage
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 17:32:34

My Europa fuselage appears to be entirely transparent to incoming GPS
signals.

I have a Skyforce Skymap Mark 1 (circa 1995) moving map GPS system fitted
into my
Europa panel.

The standard stick antenna supplied with the unit (about two centimetres
diameter
and about 9 centimetres long) is attached to the windscreen at the passenger
side (beside the parcel shelf) with a rubber suction cup.

I cannot recall having experienced any loss of GPS signal with the unit in
almost 400
hours of operation.

I wish I could say the same for my Terra tranceiver !!

Alan