Re: Trim Tab Drive Plate (Mod 58)

Subject: Re: Trim Tab Drive Plate (Mod 58)
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 05:47:53
Message text written by "Bob Jacobsen"
>The whole job only took a few hours and some drying time!  The trick is to

do it on the plane and not try to use a jig, which probably wouldn't give
you perfect tab alingment anyway (never worked for me!).
<

I agree that Mod58 is more easily achieved than it first looks. I also
found it was possible to get perfect realignment using a jig (provided it
was correct in the first place). Make two individual jigs (one for each
trim tab) as no two trim tabs are identical. The jig should be made so it
fits snugly all around the end of the tab but cannot move too far inboard.
This is achieved by having a cover to it with a hole for the pin to pass
through. Make this hole oversize so that a short length of aluminium tube
can be positioned over the pin and pushed down until it butts up to the
plate. The tube is then glued to the jig. You will then find that the jig
will precisely locate the new plate in perfect aligment in all planes.

Although the new plate is thicker you may be fortunate (like I was) to be
able to rebate the plate by the extra thickness without grinding into the
'bid' layup. This prevents having to shorten the crosstube at each end. I
understand that removing the crosstube inserts may not be easy without
damage.

Nigel Charles