Re: Trim Tab Drive Plate (Mod 58)

Subject: Re: Trim Tab Drive Plate (Mod 58)
From: Bob Jacobsen <jacobsenra@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:32:27
Fred,

Its really an easy fix to do it with the factory supplied parts.

I removed the old plates by grinding off the bid with a dremel then heating
the plates to remove them.  Next I ground away the flox underneath to get a
nice flat surface - note I didn't even remove the anti servo tabs from the
stabilator.

I then put the stabs back on the plane and glued the new tabs in place with
flox while everything was hooked up.  This makes it very easy to line
everything up.  I used clamps to hold the tabs level and wedged some balsa
wood between the rudder and the new metal plates to hold them tight while
they dried.  The next day I did remove the anti-servo tabs from the stab and
layed up the bid over the top of the new tabs as per the instructions.

The whole job only took a few hours and some drying time!  The trick is to
do it on the plane and not try to use a jig, which probably wouldn't give
you perfect tab alingment anyway (never worked for me!).

Later

Bob Jacobsen
A131