Re: Insurance

Subject: Re: Insurance
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:06:01
Hi,

Many thanks Alan and all those who replied to my query. Please keep them
coming in.

I think I will probably insure fully comp for the first year at least
then depending on how lucky/ skilled I feel I might go third party from
then on.

I may be wrong but I cant see how any but the worst (and then possibly
fatal) accident can cost that much to fix in terms of replacement parts
and materials. At the end of the day I would have to provide the labour
so in cost terms this dosen't count. For example a complete wing kit
would cost about 5000 so a wing or part of wing (foam cores) would be
much less. Most fuselage parts would come to much less. A second hand
Rotax would cost 3000 (if the original could not be repaired).

---From what I know of Europa accidents, by far the most common are prop
strikes but with an excess of 500 the insurer is often left paying
very little (unless it is an expensive VP prop).

It is inevitable that accidents will happen especially to rookie pilots
like me but with experience these will diminish. What I would like to
know is if aviation insurance reflects the experience, hours and claims
record of individual pilots.  If it does then staying fully comp makes
sense but if not then i'm not so sure.

Maybe my answer will be different in a years time.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Carl Pattinson

PS - Sorry to dissapoint, but having been building for over 5 years, my
definition of "it will be flying soon" is in 3-6 months, so sadly not in
time for "the summer". But we did fly down to the Isle of Wight in a
friends Jodel today and next year it WILL be in the Europa !!!!