RE: Realistic airspeeds

Subject: RE: Realistic airspeeds
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:48:38

Meanwhile, back on Earth...

I think most ordinary mortals with 'attitude' will fly at speeds similar to
the ones I've quoted.

..and of course, it's not for me to stand in judgement over the performances
which other claim.

One thought though. TAS based on GPS readings is easily over-estimated.
Leaving aside the density/altitude calculations which are frequently aired,
the most common reason is failure to accurately compensate for wind.

It is essential to either:

1/ Fly on a day with zero wind.
2/ Fly DIRECTLY into and away from the wind vector. (pretty difficult to
achieve).
3/ Use a recognised formula to produce TAS from trigonometry.

I suspect that most GPS/TAS calculations which are not performed with
rigourous attention to detail will be over-estimated by a few knots. Arent
simple 'two-way averages' and 'rectangular tracks' are likely to be wrong
unless the weather is calm ?

I have an Excel spreadsheet (4Kb) which relies on averaged GPS speeds from
three, accurately flown tracks. The resulting TAS should be fairly close to
the true airspeed provided:

1/ The aircraft is at constant altitude throughout the test.
2/ The track and GPS speed are fairly constant. (requires a day without
gusts and thermals)
3/ The engine RPM is constant.
4/ The wind direction and speed are constant throughout the test period.

I found that I needed to fly for about 5 minutes per sector, in order for
the GPS reading to average out. I also found it quite hard to hold a track
to within +- 1 degree.

If anyone would like to examine and add constructive criticism of the
method, I'll gladly refine it. I'd like to derive a method that is as fair
and as accurate as possible.

What is the most simple and ACCURATE way to determine TAS ?

Alan