Re: US vs UK prices

Subject: Re: US vs UK prices
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:11:14
You have to consider several items.

1. Import duties.  This can easily amount to 10%.  Consider how much you had
to pay when you brought that Swiss watch back with you on your last European
trip.

2. Transatlantic shipping.  As a point of reference, the shipping costs for
US domestic to the West Coast for a full kit is on the order of $1K when
containerized with others, so I could see a transatlantic ship cost of $2K
or more.

3. Is the UK price inclusive of VAT?  If it isn't, that's 15% right there
(this is very unlikely).

Now, what's amusing -or painful- is that a lot of the stuff in the kit is
made in the US.

Shaun
A207