Cowling questions

Subject: Cowling questions
From: erichdtrombley@juno.com
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 11:48:53
I have a classic Europa with a 914, however, I am utilizing the classic
cowling with the XS engine mount and Rotax ring mount.;  My question is,
what should be the clearance between the face for the Rotax prop flange
and the end of the cowling?  Not having the prop at this time I would
however like to finish extending the cowling to accommodate the 914. I
understand that with the new XS cowling and engine mount the engine has
been moved 4.5 " forward and 1.5" up.  Is it just a matter of extending
the existing cowling 4.5" or do I need to first mount the engine and take
measurements?  Maybe someone with an XS cowling not yet installed could
take a measurement for me by placing the cowling vertically on the floor
and measuring the vertical height from the floor to the inside lip of the
cowling.  I am guessing this should come in at around 33.5"  as the
classic measures 29".  Thanks so much.

Regards,

Erich Trombley
A028