RE: Aileron and elevator trim

Subject: RE: Aileron and elevator trim
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:25:13
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa@post.aviators.net
Subject: Aileron and elevator trim

>Since the Europa elevator trim (or aileron trim if fitted) has no manual
back-up, I am curious as to how controllable the aircraft is with a trim
runaway to the limit stop.
Has anyone ever experienced a trim runaway or uncommanded movement to the
trim limit (aileron or elevator)?
Can a Europa be safely flown to a landing in that condition?<

Message text written by "Jim Thursby"
>I have tested it in full up and down trim conditions. It's a bit of pull
or
push, but you can do it if necessary. Better to have a pullable breaker or
switch to disconnect the trim in an emergency.<

Although it is nice to allow for a runaway condition, it is more likely
that the trim will fail open circuit which would more realistically means a
failed trim in an intermediate position which should be easier to handle.

Nigel Charles