Re: Roll Trim

Subject: Re: Roll Trim
From: J Moran <jmoran01@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:04:53
I tried a couple of weeks ago to describe a simple manual roll
trim I installed but apparently I made such a hash of the
description that it was quickly forgotten.  Here's another try:

At the base of the stick (just above the collar) mount a small
aluminum bracket, with a horizontal section about 1 inch square.
This can be held in place by the stick retention bolt if you can
put a fancy bend in the vertical part so the horizontal section
just touches the stick.

Bolt a movable aluminum "finger" pointed directly aft to the
stick mounted bracket, where the finger is about 2 inches long --
ensure that it clears the seat when the stick is full aft.   Use
a 1 inch dia leather or rubber washer between the finger and the
stick bracket to act as a friction brake; tighten so the finger
can be rotated by hand to set trim. Round the forward end of the
finger so it doesn't contact the stick as the finger is rotated.
I made the finger from aluminum angle and left part of the angle
stock to function as a handle while setting trim.

Put 6-32 bolts on the forward face of the seat support. One bolt
on each side 1 inch down from the top of the support and one inch
in from the tunnel on the right and from the fuse skin on the
left.  These bolts need 2 nuts so they can be set to protrude
about 1/2 inch.

Connect the aft end of the finger via a 1/4 inch wide rubber band
and a short piece of cord to either of the 6-32 pegs as needed
for the direction of roll trim desired. Alternatively, 1/8 inch
bungee can be used instead. Rotate the finger to adjust the
applied roll trim.

Time to build and install: about 1/2 hour.  Cost: nil.

I realize my explanation this time may be as poor as last.  If it
is still not understandable please write.  I have a crude sketch
(105kb jpeg) which is worth at least a thousand of my words.

John     N44EU