Re: Roll Trim Tab

Subject: Re: Roll Trim Tab
From: Bob Jacobsen <jacobsenra@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:02:40

Roll trim is a definate plus as the trim changes with passenger load.  I
hear the MAC unit works well but a different method is to use a model
airplane servo and driver. (I'm always a bit different!)

I used a Hitec 605BB servo which is very, very small and easy to mount in
the aileron.  Starting with a finished aileron, cut the tab out then cut a
hole in the bottom of the aileron.  I layed up some extra glass in the hole
and just epoxied the servo in place.  Model airplane linkage, hinges and
control horns were used to complete the installation and the cover is glued
in place with silicone sealer.

Since the model servo adds very little weight, balance is still easy.  The
control is a servo drive from a company called Custom Electronics.  It's
basically a knob which is panel mounted.  When you turn the knob the servo
follows and stays where you put it.  Its fast, cheap and works great.  For
power a 5v regulator from radio shack steps the voltage down to power the
system.  All the parts are availiable at your local Hobby Shop for under 100
bucks.

Bob Jacobsen
A131 N165BB