RE: Tyre wear on tri-gear

Subject: RE: Tyre wear on tri-gear
From: Bob.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:52:43
Hi! David.
Yes, I was disappointed about the extent of wear, however on checking I find
its done 160 landings, all on
hard surfaces, which fact probably makes it more acceptable. The big aid is
to change the rotation of the tyres at about half wear (when the outside
tread is getting a "flat" on it .) Grass operation will definitely improve
things. Costs .... my bill from Europa is 68 plus vat plus carriage (I
collected mine!)
However be sure not to trap the tube on assembly of the wheel halves like I
did because the tube is 35.00 plus vat and carriage.! I guess pressures on
the lower side may give a better ground contact area but it would also
increase rolling resistance on take off and be questionable on a cross wind
landing . Those who will be nameless who got windshear on landing on one leg
plus the nose gear actually left tyre rubber marks on the inboard side of
the disc of the
disc brake !?  Had the tyre pressure been low it would have surely ripped
the tyre off.?
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG