Re: Trigear legs

Subject: Re: Trigear legs
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 23:07:26
Garry, I don't think it's a good idea to try to take out some camber
in the build, or worse yet, trusting some metal shop to heat and bend
the legs, and guarantee the airworthiness.  E.g., if just the toe-in
doesn't come out right, you can get squirrely ground handling on the
take-off and landing rolls.  But just 50 hours 'til the cord shows
doesn't translate to much longevity at all if camber _were_ correct,
so maybe other factors?

If you're using the Air Trac tires such as supplied, they ain't known
for longevity on the mains.  5.00 x 5's usually see duty on the nose,
and there, why even the cheapie Air Tracs can show ozone-cracking of
the sidewalls long before the tread is worn out.  And in the case of
my Grumman AA-5, a nose wheel shimmy that'll thoroughly shiver your
timbers.  Maybe there's manufacturing differences, as between the
6-inchers.  I'd spring for a pair of pricey Michelins, and flip 'em
during maintenance.  A Michelin 500 x 5 has so far cured me nose wheel
shimmy (after 24 freakin' years of suggested fixes, finally???), but
if that still isn't a good economy/hassle balance, maybe have 'em
retreaded, such as by Dresser Tire & Rubber, as a routine.  That's
what most air carriers do.  A.k.a. living with the phenomenon....

Regards,
Fred F. A, 063