RE: Fuel Tank Vent

Subject: RE: Fuel Tank Vent
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@home.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 08:51:09
All

I must explain what we did on Bob's SX.

The vent is built and installed in the top of the tank per the instructions.
The vent tubing is rerouted to the top of the fill tube ( urethane molding
in the SX) where it is connected to a barb fitted to the side wall of the
fill tube.  Next to this barb is another barb that has a vent tub to a
standard Europa SS bent vent tube with the standard holes in the back side
of the curve. The thing that is different here is it is mounted on the belly
just aft of the tank drains.

In this location it is out of sight, out of the rain (we live in Seattle)
and best of all can't spit fuel on the plane. The fill tube acts as an air
brake for the vent line and puts the spitting fuel back in the tank. If the
plane were to go inverted (God forbid) the vent will be high above the tank
and prevent full spill.

We fill from Gas cans and can pour as fast as we want. It works very well.
Sorry, I can't find a JPG of it on Bob's web page.  It was such a logical
modification, I guess we did not think of it as notable.

Cliff Shaw