Re: Tail dragger XS3300

Subject: Re: Tail dragger XS3300
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:08:56
Cool, but be careful Nic...  The engine mount transfers stress to the
central tunnel.  Hanging 160# out front on a leverage arm is one
thing.  Pull 3.8G per U.S. standard, add 50% for mom and the kids, or
double/triple it if you like doin' acro, and a first-year engineering
student can show you many thousands of # stress on a cheap scientific
calculator.  Traditional engine mounts attach to fuselage sides, and
e.g. in the Lancair, there's reinforcing carbon fiber hat sections
there to spread the load.  I chopped and narrowed my (tri-gear) tunnel
down a bit, but conservatively so, and reinforced with uni-cloth
strips at the engineer's 45-deg triangle I read about, since the only
engineer I know drove choo-choo trains.  Somebody's gotta do first
flight soon in N3EU, and no waiting list yet beyond me!

Regards,
Fred F., A063, N3EU