Re: Engine Thrustline

Subject: Re: Engine Thrustline
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:11:28
Hi, Tom --

> I have a fwf kit for a Jabiru 3300 for the XS and thus far I have little
> installation info.  Does the Rotax kit 4 discuss the engine thrust
> line?  Many aircraft call for a 2 to 3 degree thrust line offset to
> starboard to compensate for P factor.  What is called for with the Rotax
> engines?

914 manual says 1.5 deg. to starboard.  Determined by a straightedge
on prop flange, with tick marks 20" on either side of centerline
(total 40").  Distance from marks to firewall should differ by
1-1/16".

>  Is there any vertical line offset?

They don't say, but mine came out about zero.  It depends upon
relationship of your thrust centerline with the vertical position of
the aircraft's CG, probably still (desirably) above the latter for the
3300, unlike a high-wing Cessna where engine's gotta point down.  I'd
guess as long it's zero or down a hair, you'll not notice anything in
flight testing (you don't want immediate pitch up on rapid power
application - horiz tail alone causes a bit of that).  Looks about
zero on Bob Harrison's, eh Bob?

Enjoy that 3300.

Regards,
Fred F., A063