Re: Rotax 914 Fuel Return.

Subject: Re: Rotax 914 Fuel Return.
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:35:49
Sure, but there's two metal lines from the regulator to the carbs.
IOW, two flow sensors either way, with required means to integrate the
outputs.  An alternative to consider is no fuel flow cockpit reading.
At least not until the flight testing phase to see how the variables
shake out.  It's not coincidental that they're popular on production
aircraft where you can adjust mixture and prop setting, especially
those with high enough performance so that economy cruise is still a
tenable TAS.  The Europa does what she does with aerodynamic
efficiency, not brute power.  Power back in an a Piper Malibu or
similar, you mostly save lots of fuel.  In a Europa, you mostly go
slower.  I can see an advantage if you'll have especially a C/S prop.
The TCU is setting manifold pressure also on you, and there's no
precise way to set % power without knowing fuel flow.  But so will
flight testing, and it may turn out that % power and thus fuel economy
will reliably track TAS within a reasonable range of prop settings.

Regards,
Fred F., A063