Re: Going top-less

Subject: Re: Going top-less
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:51:26
I have flown my Europa without doors.

On the FIRST occasion, I would not recommend it, unless carried out in
relatively safe conditions and when you are fairly confident.

The aircraft felt as though it was operating on reduced power, climbed
much more slowly than before, and the ASI gave an unfamiliar reading.
(lower than normal)

I also felt more prone to the effects of crosswinds on the runway.

It was quite pleasant in a way, but it's not something I've felt a  'burning
desire' to repeat. Given the well known effects of warmish wet day's on,
climb performance in a relatively underpowered aircraft (80hp), I would
recommend a longer runway with clear approaches.

Alan