Re: Going top-less

Subject: Re: Going top-less
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:53:11
Unless someone else has tried it, feel free to be the test pilot --
that'll be an awful big hole creating enormous drag, and huge "vortex
streets" tossed back at the tail.  Might still be controllable. :)

My Grumman AA-5 allows only 10" of (sliding) canopy opening in flight,
and since there's still 3 ft. of canopy track for integrity, I assume
the reason is aerodynamic.  It's cool to do that, but to give an idea
of the aerodynamic upset involved at just that gap:  If you've
recently lubed the canopy track, it won't stay open.  If you haven't,
watch out.  That canopy will snap closed with a vengeance at a random
moment.  You don't want your fingers draped around the canopy bow,
like in the old days when cars had quarter windows.  It hurts!

Regards,
Fred F., A063