Speed Numbers

Subject: Speed Numbers
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:05:01
Hi folks,

I have just finished fitting the speed kit mod and flew it for the first time
last Saturday. I have a fixed pitched (fixed at 17.5 deg) Warp drive prop on
my standard Rotax 912 and an XS style cowl.

I never figured out what "75% power" I have seen mentioned is because I can
never get more than 5,200 rpm with this prop pitch (is 100% the 5,600 rpm
limit?) but once straight and level I set around 4,950 rpm and happily fly
along at 120 kt indicated. I decend at 130 kt at around 4,600 rpm. The speed
kit seems to have given me about 6 knots. Was is worth the $400? - probably
not if you wanted speed, but it sure finishes the airframe off nicely which
was my main purpose.

I considered a variable pitch prop - same with the 914 - but felt that cost
and complexity wasn't worth the extra few knots. If I needed high alt takeoff
performance - that would be a different story.

Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas