Re: Unanswered questions

Subject: Re: Unanswered questions
From: ami mcfadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:56:53

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Hull <hullhous@mc.net>
  While
>reviewing old e-mails, I came across one where John
>Bampfylde question bungees stretching over time. Roger replied that they
>would, but if John had a bungee with green stripes,
>he would replace it with a bungee with blue stripes.
>
>I ask because I see my bungee has green stripes.  Should it be replaced
>before installation?
>
>Jim Hull  A016

FWIW I took off my "green-stripe" bungees  last weekend in conclusion of the
fixed taildragger mod.

I seem to remember putting 10` of bungee on two years ago. But I took off
22.5`!
Despite retensioning this bungee at least once, I was never able to achieve
satisfactory counterbalancing of the monowheel/flap, despite the suspended
weight being lighter than most.
In anticipation of having to replace the green-stripe, I bought a quantity
of proper, aircraft-quality bungee, which is much denser and stiffe than the
boat-stuff supplied. I`d recommend you do the same now to save you having to
do it later.

The simple fact that rubber looses its tension and creeps when stretched to
more than 175% of its free-length makes the installation doomed by its own
design.

Duncan McFadyean