RE: Flap root peal ply?

Subject: RE: Flap root peal ply?
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:50:09
OK, I'd better elaborate on my previous message.  I found peel ply only at
the one location, the root rib.  What I peeled from the wing root rib was a
piece of fabric with a weave similar to the fabric sold by Aircraft Spruce
as peel ply.  If you have seen only the ugly blue ribbons of peel ply
supplied by Europa (which I have not seen in a while - tossed that junk long
ago) this is a more substantial fabric and is a much finer weave than the
bidirectional fiberglass that comes with the kit.  Of course the epoxy
replicates the same weave so even if the peel ply has been removed you
should see the pattern of the fabric - not what you want to hear when you
have doubts and the stuff is hard to see but that's the reality.  In the rib
"closeout" it was trimmed perfectly with the wing skin edge, both top and
bottom surfaces, which is why it was invisible.  I discovered the peel ply
about a year ago, so my memory has faded a bit, but as I recall there was a
small bubble where the peel ply was not in intimate contact with the rib (or
wing skin) and that is how I noticed what it was.  I think the bubble was
near an edge and I fussed with it a bit and accidentally noticed that it
would peel off.

Since there are 120 US kits (and many others worldwide) between mine and
yours you are probably safe (based on the factory's response when I raised
this issue with them at the time of my discovery) but this isn't the kind of
project where we can be casual about structural integrity.  You might want
to pose this question to the factory: "What serial number was the last to
use white peel ply without the red stripe?"  Of course, the serial number
identifies the builder not the actual kit, but some such definitive answer
should be forthcoming.  It would be nice if Andy or another authority at
Europa were monitoring this thread and could give all of us the answer we
need.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070