Re: Lower cost carb heat solution?

Subject: Re: Lower cost carb heat solution?
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:46:05
We have adopted your solution in reverse.

This is based on the assumption (which we have been told is correct) that
carb icing in a normal Europa installation is virtually nonexistent due to
the heating in the engine compartment.

We have installed a large NACA scoop in the top of the cowling, operated by
a choke cable. This enables us to introduce cold air (or at least luke warm)
into the area the carb intakes are located. We figured this was a much
cheaper alternative to a plenum chamber and also keeps the regulator box and
electrics cool at the same time.

Till we fly the aircraft we will not know how much air we need to vent out
of the engine compartment to ensure a good airflow through and past the
carburettors. We figure the removal of the hot air is as important as
introducing cooling air at the front.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS