Re: XS Aileron hinge rivets...

Subject: Re: XS Aileron hinge rivets...
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:27:35
>     I've begun working on the placing the hinges on the aileron.  I've
>run into a situation.  The hinge rivets on the trailing edge end up very
>near the base of the V shaped are where the hinges are being installed.
>(Pg. 7-7)  There is room enough (depth wise) for the hinges once
>installed and compressed, but there is not enough room for them prior to
>compression.

I think we've all had this problem and got round it one way or
another.  However, IMHO it is best to fit the hinges on first using skin
pins and let the flox cure with the hinges still fixed to the straight
edge, before pulling the rivets. This way you won't distort the hinges if
the flange is not perfectly flat. Less likely for resin to be squashed out
of the flox and into the hinge pins this way too.

Graham