XS Aileron hinge rivets...

Subject: XS Aileron hinge rivets...
From: JLW <jeffw@Telebyte.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:15:10
Hello all...

    I've begun working on the placing the hinges on the aileron.  I've
run into a situation.  The hinge rivets on the trailing edge end up very
near the base of the V shaped are where the hinges are being installed.
(Pg. 7-7)  There is room enough (depth wise) for the hinges once
installed and compressed, but there is not enough room for them prior to
compression.  In other words, the rivets on the trailing edge side of
the hinge cannot be shoved all the way in their respective holes because
the rivet bottoms out before it is fully seated.
    So, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get around this
problem.  It seems to be something one cannot 'get around' but something
to deal with.  The only thing I can see to do would be to drill slightly
into the area of the V that the rivets run into.  The only problem with
that is will be necessary to shove some epoxy into the 1/8" holes.  I
think the depth of these little 1/8" holes would also be around 1/8".
So, we're not talking about much.
    Am I the only one to have encountered this?  Or, is it a 'normal'
situation dealt with such as I have suggested?  Does someone have a
different or better way to solve this?

    Jeff A191