Re: Trailer rash

Subject: Re: Trailer rash
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:56:58
The trick is to make the plane 'fixed' to the trailer so that it bounces up
and down WITH the trailer and not ON it.  IMHO the wing slings need to be
modified to be clam shell type devices so that they cannot move independent
of the trailer. I made the first one man Europa rigging system nearly five
years ago, which included 'clam shell' wing dollies. These dollies are used
to wheel the wings into the trailer (its a box trailer) and also retain the
wings during transport. When in the transport mode everything is strapped
down and effectively becomes part of the trailer, and thus is not allowed to
bounce around independent.  We have never had any damage as a result of
transporting despite many trips, some close on 200 miles... putting it in
the trailer is another story though!

Jim