Re: VP and CS propellors

Subject: Re: VP and CS propellors
From: Jerry Davis <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:59:19

First of all I don't think you should compare the take of performance of
two different aircraft. The take off performance will be far more
dependant on the aircraft weight than on the propeller. The Kremen may
be good but this test is not. I think the factory aircraft uses an MT
propeller which is very well engineered. However I would like to think
the Arplast gives better performance than the MT on the Europa.

I took a look at the Kremen web site and agreed it is quite cheap but
then again it does use wooden blades as does the MT. The Warp Drive
blades and Arplast blades are both composite and perform well IMHO
because of their torsional stiffness and because of their aerodynamic
qualities. It is not possible to make a wooden blade with the same high
lift exceptionally thin aerofoil as that used by Arplast. I also suggest
that wooden blades are less stable than composite blades which is
important particularly in the UK where are climate is so variable. I
think the wooden blades will also be less strong and less durable.

Some composite blades are little better than wooden ones, only copies in
composite of proven wooden designs not taking advantage of the
aerodynamic possibilities that composites can allow.

Before purchasing a propeller it is probably prudent to ensure that the
propeller can be serviced at reasonable cost. I have heard of people
waiting six months for replacement parts. We have had a few Europa
customers damage their Arplast propellers. We normally recommend the
whole unit is returned to the factory who completely check the unit and
repair or replace damaged parts. Their charges are not unreasonable and
the propellers are usually returned in about 2 weeks (4 weeks in the
middle of the summer when the factory is flat out). About a week of that
time is shipping time.

The Arplast is well proven on the Europa and accepted by the PFA but
there will always be other propellers available and I can't hope to sell
every Europa owner a PV50.

I am of course the agent for Arplast and you should take that into
account when considering what I say.

regards

Jerry

                                                LTS@avnet.co.uk