Re: Speed Kit Instalation

Subject: Re: Speed Kit Instalation
From: David Watts <dg.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 22:20:47
> I am about to instal the Europa "speed kit" on my classic trigear.  In
> particular I am interested to learn how others have attached the flap and
> aileron hinge fairings to the wing.  There is one thru-bolt, of course,
but
> how have others attached it to the wing?  Suggestions have been made to
> glue it with silicone caulk while others have suggested installing blind
> nuts into the wing skin.  I've had all sorts of advise, but would be
> interested in what works best in the real world.  Any experienced advise
> would be appreciated.

We have had the speed kit on our monowheel Europa for the last year. Parts
are attached with the single bolt recommended plus silicone caulk. We have
had no problems except:

Straight after installing the kit, the fairings under the fuselage covering
the crosstube hinges fell off (luckily as we were taking it out of the
trailer). I subsequently reattached them with a small self tapper front and
back assisting the silicone. However, a short while ago I wanted to remove
them and after removing the screws, I just couldn't get the fairing off. I
eventually had to slice through the silicone with a harp modelling knife.
This illustrates that the silicone works, but also the the surfaces
obviously need to be completely CLEAN.

Dave Watts
G-BXDY