Fuel system and access panels

Subject: Fuel system and access panels
From: flying <pauld.stewart.fly@virginnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:11:14

Some very useful discussion on fuel systems recently. We are in the
process of significantly altering the suggested system along the lines
of many of the contributers to this site. In particular we are fitting
Andair kit (new gascolator coming along to go with the Wilksch diesel )
and upgrading to aluminium fuel lines and AN/JIC fittings (including new
tank outlets). One thing concerns me slightly, there has been much made
recently of filters blocking particularly early on. That and the fact
that the factory now suggest separate filters for each fuel outlet makes
me worry about a fuel system which goes from tank outlet to fuel
selector and then to gascolator thus putting the filtration in the final
common pathway to the engine. The alternative is to go from each tank
outlet to a separate gascolator and then from the two gascolators to the
fuel selector, or indeed to substitute the 'reserve' gascolator with an
Andair in line filter. This would seem to avoid the reliance on a single
filtration device, but the down side would be some additional weight and
a more complex system (each gascolator would need an isolation valve to
allow the bowl and filter to be inspected without the fuel tank draining
on our shoes). Sorry thats all so long winded - any opinions out there.
Apologies to Graham - you've already given me your words of wisdom.

Second question. Tank outlet access panels. The manual describes making
these 100 mm panels by laying up splash mouldings and cutting back foam
core etc. There is no mention of the two round 140mm recessed areas in
the fuselage floor immediately below where the tank outlets will lie.
These do not appear to have a foam core and are not flush with the rest
of the fuselage. Am I missing soething here?