Re: Fuel Gauge Systems

Subject: Re: Fuel Gauge Systems
From: Klaus Dietrich <Klaus.Dietrich@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:58:18
wouldn't use either as it means to cut a hole into the tank. Instead, a lot of
us are using a flow meter / fuel totalizer in addition to the sight gauge. Good
experience  with the german ELBA instrument (ca GBP 200,-). I personally know 10
builders (all flying since three years) who are all very satisfied.
You can order it from a very helpful supplier in Toulouse (
http://www.kbi-ul.com/)
The instrument has the same size as the VDO instruments and the transducer is
mounted just behind the electrical fuel pump in the tunnel. It's fail safe in as
much that in case the free spinning wheel of the transducer gets blocked, there
is still enough fuel to pass by to operate the engine at full power (had to be
demonstrated for the german LBA).
It displays alternatively the current fuel flow in ltrs/hr, the remaining fuel
and the remaining endurance. I get constantly an accurancy of +/- 3%. Great for
cross country flying and planning of your fuel stops...

Klaus (133)