Re: Slick 50 anyone?

Subject: Re: Slick 50 anyone?
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:53:22
Miles, I (and Rotax) agree with all you wrote, but would like to
comment a bit:

> My understanding is that the "slick" bit is removing $$ from your pocket....

It's airworthiness, too.  I just noted in re-reading, that Rotax in
their service letter specifically warn against friction modifying
additives for the health of the friction clutch in the gearbox.

> - so for engines operating under rather lower levels of stress (eg aircraft
> engines!) I don't see the need to have an oil with much higher limits when
> it's
> never going to be required.  Better to spend your money on more frequent oil
> changes....

Your comparison was to racing bikes, but we might also agree that in
comparison to auto engines in normal use, A/C engines are higher
stressed, more so the high-revving Rotax.  All the more reason to
avoid auto engine snake oils (for both type engines).

> There is one additive that does work - fact: Triphenyl phosphate, better known
> to many Lycoming users as LW-16702....

I used it religiously until incorporated into Shell's 15W-50, but it's
efficacy or harmlessness in the Rotax running auto motor oil is
nevertheless unknown.  It wasn't really sold until necessary to cure a
design defect in the Lycoming -H series engines, and I've not seen an
auto oil additive that touts Triphenyl phosphate.

Kind regards,
Fred F., A063