Re: Shower of Sparks Ignition

Subject: Re: Shower of Sparks Ignition
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:03:22
>> Thanks for the comments on my problem, but I am still confused.  Let me
>> further describe my engine mags.  As I stated before, the engine came with
>> two rebuilt mags.  The one with the impulse coupling on the right side and
>> the mag on the left side contained a device on the rear of the mag with
two
>> wires protruding.  This really confused me.  Evidently, the overhaul
shop had
>> these two mags in their possession and overhauled them for my engine.
>>
>> When I inquired about this left mag device with the two wires
protruding, a
>> knowledgeable person said that Bendix Mag Co. calls this device "shower of
>> sparks". I then called the mechanic back and he informed me if I don't
want
>> to use the "shower of sparks", which I don't have a clue how it works,
just
>> clip the wires and use the impulse coupling on the right mag.

  Shower of sparks is a special battery augmentation of spark energy
  delivered by a magneto during cranking. I have a work in progress that
  I'll share with those who are intrested in this topic. Download the
  following:

  http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/sparks2.pdf
  http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/sos_v1.pdf
  http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/sos_v1.pdf
  http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/sos_v1.pdf

  Be advised there are figures called out in the text that
  are not supplied and you'll have to do a little sorting
  of the words against the three drawings that ARE supplied.
  I don't have time to clean this article up right now but
  it's good enough to share on a limited basis. I'm not
  going to link it on the articles index until it's finished
  so this e-mail message is the ONLY place you'll see 'em
  listed.

  In my not so humble opinion, S-o-S ignition is probably
  the best thing that ever happend to a magneto. If you're
  not ready to dump these 1940 devices in favor of 1990
  devices, you can't do any better in terms of cranking
  performance than to utilize shower-of-sparks augmentation.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different from  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com