Proximity Switches`

Subject: Proximity Switches`
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:30:36
Cheers,
        Far b3e it for me to correct Bob Nuckolls useful and accurate
assessments, but I beg to add a caveat to the following:

  I think your risks are low. I've used these devices
  for decades in some hi-end aircraft and industrial
  applications with no difficulties . . . however,
  having said that, I've NOT tested any of these things
  in the RF lab . . . The major threat is from transmitters.
  Play with one on the bench while irradiating it with
  a hand-held and rubber-duck antenna from about a foot away.
  If keying the transmitter doesn't affect operation, it's
  probably going to be just fine in your airplane. This
  kind of exposure from a handheld is MUCH more than
  it would see in a typical installation.

>> unless that 'typical installation' contains a radiating antenna<<
Forgive me Bob.
Happy landings
Ferg A064