Re: ELT Installation

Subject: Re: ELT Installation
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:57:30
>I have a question concerning the ELT installation.  The installation manual
>for our Ameri-King Model AK-450 ELT says "The Antenna must be within 20
>degrees of vertical when the aircraft is in a normal flight attitude."  It
>goes on to say "The Antenna should be placed a minimum distance of 3 feet (1
>meter) from any vertically polarized communication Antennas (i.e. Antennas
>radiating in the 118-137 MHz band)."

>My understanding of the ELT use is that it would never be used in flight so
>then why would their be a requirement for it to be installed "within 20
>degrees of vertical"?  Further, it is not likely that the aircraft would be
>in such an attitude when use of the ELT was necessary.

   On top of that, a recent article in AOPA Pilot suggests that
   ELTs figure in a TINY percentage of aircraft accidents wherein
   lives are saved . . . like under 10% if I recall. The numbers
   COULD be better but the hardware reliability is poor and the
   technology used to track downed aircraft is antiquated.

>The other question is why should it be placed 3 feet from the VHF antenna?
>Again, the VHF antenna would presumably not be used at the same time as the
>ELT antenna.
>
>I would presume that the ELT installation requirements would be only for
>certificated aircraft and not applicable to home-builts.  However, some
times
>there may be some wisdom in certification requirements.

   Excellent critical review questions. In my not so humble opinion,
   install it any way that works but plan your actions such that
   you don't need to depend on the system to be useful.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different from  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com