RE: Re: Europa filters

Subject: RE: Re: Europa filters
From: Mark Chetwynd-Talbot <markt@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:04:42
Hi Kevin,

This has already been said to some extent - but here are my comments for
what they are worth.

I also have an XS with the 914. Andy Draper from the factory did the first 5
hours test flying and I have now done a further 20 hours.

On three occasions during the first 5 hours Andy experienced the engine
cutting suddenly and almost stopping. This happened when only one fuel pump
was on ie. during normal flight. It was cured, before the engine stopped in
each case, by switching on the second fuel pump.

Andy believed it might have been a faulty No 1 fuel pump that was cutting
out occasionally. But on each occasion the filters were found to have quite
visible dirt in them and, because switching the pumps over did not stop the
problem, my theory is that it was definitely partial blocking of the filter
which caused the problem. It occurred again after about 10 hours flying and
I switched on the second pump immediately and the engine picked up OK.
Again, there was considerable debris in the main fuel filter. Since then -
because the effect of the occurrence is bad news for the heart muscles - I
have inspected the filters every three hours and generally ended up changing
them because of visible dirt. It has not happened again.

I am certain that is is simply not possible to ensure that the fuel tank is
free of swarf, bits of rubber from the inlet pipe etc and these bits do get
into the filters for hours afterwards. There has been a lot of discussion in
the group about this and the majority seem to think that the filters would
be much better replaced by a gascolator, as made by Andair. Graham Singleton
seems particularly keen on this and can advise. I think I am going to change
mine because it simply is not sound practice to keep pulling the filters
apart the whole time just to try to avoid having a thoroughly unpleasant
experience!

Can you remember if you tried switching on the second fuel pump. I rather
imagine you might have been preoccupied finding somewhere to land! Poor
chap!

Mark