Re: A hingeing decision

Subject: Re: A hingeing decision
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:27:15
>I am not perfectly sure how the hinge attachment works.  Do you pull out the
>hinge wire from the front or back?  How do you get the hinge wire back in
>easily?  Does the other side of the cowling use a regular hinge so you can
>swing the cowling up?
>Brian

Its not all that easy to get it back in but works OK with practice. The
cowling can't be hinged up because of the curve, so both pins must be
pulled. The beauty of it is you can achieve a nice joint line with no
visible attachment screws except whatever means used to retain the pins.
Screws will be needed on the Europa to fasten the center front, just behind
the spinner.

Get hold of a piece of uncut MS20001-5 hinge and have a play with it. It
bends easily to the curve of the sides, probably also the top of the cowl.
Some ingenuity will be needed to design retention method and things like
that. A look round one of the fly ins like Copperstate, SnF or even Oshkosh
is the best place to get ideas. Next year? IMHO its well worth the effort.

There's a Vari Eze ,  belongs to Bill James at Fort Worth, Texas, with a
very ingenious attach method using nylon tube and pins that should be well
worth a close look. Takes him one minute to remove his cowls. Normally that
would mean unscrewing 40 plus screws. I don't have his  N number, and I
haven't seen it but the canard boys are impressed.
Graham