Re: Rudder deflection

Subject: Re: Rudder deflection
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:09:21
I fly an Aeronca Champ and a Pelican, both taildraggers, and I have a theory
about this pedalling business.

While pedalling, there is significant drag generated by the rudder swinging
---From side to side at reasonable airspeeds, and by the tailwheel swinging
---From side to side when it's on the ground at any speed.  This has the effect
of moving the centre of drag back and increasing stability, particularly on
the roll out.  ie. it reduces the tendency to ground loop.  I'm convinced
that this is the REAL reason why we should pedal like stink.  It also make
the case for installing a tailwheel brake for hard runways.

What it also means is that pedalling, per se, is as important, if not more
important, than simply pushing the correct rudder pedal at the right time.

Wojafink?

Dave Simpson