Re: Electric on a Budget... a proposal

Subject: Re: Electric on a Budget... a proposal
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:25:22
> . . . . I want an IFR capable, all electric
>plane.  The only architecture that has an automatic full scale backup uses
>the B&C SD-20 with their standby regulator that senses when the main bus
>voltage drops off due to a primary alternator failure and thereby gets
>activated.  No thoughts, no pilot action, seamless transition, lots of money
>and weight.  Overkill for my application.  The architecture I am proposing
>does have many options that provide for three independent pathways to power
>the essential bus.

>Where did I end up on this issue?  I am buying all the parts to "make it
>so."  I have also sent a hard copy of this architecture to Bob Nuckolls
>asking for feedback.  I still am a year or so away from completion so all is
>subject to change based on better information.

>> Anyway, here are my thoughts: what you are proposing should work, and it
>> looks like you have planned for most contingencies, but I *personally*
>> still have a problem with ANY of these multi-bus approaches...
simplicity. My
>> thinking is that any sort of electrical malfunction or failure is a
>> stressful event. It will undoubtedly happen at an inopportune time thus
>> adding to the stress. I have experienced enough stressful times when
>> flying . . .

   "most contingencies?" . . . "three independent pathways?"

   Guys . . . you're letting decades of "dark and stormy night"
   stories played out in certified aircraft drive unfounded
   fears and scenearios to the top of your architecture decisions.

   Virtually every known reason for an electrical system malfunction
   has been addressed in the variety of system architectures
   we've illustrated over the years. Yes, things MIGHT break
   but there is no reason for any failure of an electrical system
   component to precipitate an electrical emergency. Please review
   chapter 18 in our book. You guys are building the best airplanes
   to have ever flown.  Certified ships smoke a lot because they
   are BUILT and MAINTAINED that way. Further, they feature components
   overhaulable only to ORIGNAL configuation as designed in 1965.

   Please do your best to use our experience in certified aviation
   to evolve AWAY from their mistakes . . . not ACCOMODATE them.
   It's not difficult. Before you start pushing things around on the
   wiring diagrams, tell me of any single failure event with
   any of our power distribution diagrams that creates a tense
   situation in flight that has no simple resolution. If you have
   good reason to depart from the published suggestions, then
   we need to fix the drawings.

   Let's do this like critical thinking scientists, not pilots
   and mechanics educated and trained to government standards.
   This isn't a "not invented here" protest rather an invitation
   to participate in critical review of contemporary thinking
   to advance the state of our art . . . Bottom line is, wire
   your airplane any way you wish . . . but be aware that lots
   of folks are listening in. I get a couple of wiring diagrams
   a month from folks asking, "what's wrong with THIS way?"
   If we don't have solid advice to give, let's fix the advice
   before we create dozens of variations on a theme based on
   nothing better than our distrust of aviation hardware
   and a lack of understanding about how to fix it.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different from  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com