RE: P-TAG buddy

Subject: RE: P-TAG buddy
From: Bob.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:30:11
Hi! Nic.
a) The dual ignition is by Honda Industrial, with magnets on the simple
flywheel generating HT power to two distribution rotor arms and distributor
caps, as you say in lower positions aft of the engine.
b) The aft end of the crankshaft is female splined to receive the male shaft
of a Vac pump.
c) There is no other auxiliary drive take off point available. I would have
preferred a hydraulic CS Prop but because of this shortfall I had to settle
for an electrical option which actuates slowly.
d) The engine is quiet and can only be discerned from the prop. noise with
the usual "six type        burble" in idle mode ! As you would expect it is
very balanced .
e) I'm still well satisfied, except there is a little bit to be desired with
the installation instructions , but then again I didn't have a Jabiru
aircraft manual to "crib" from to read in conjunction with the engine
installation manual.
f)  I'm not publishing any figures yet since I want them to be reliable and
---From an engine that isn't "tight" . However I can say that it produced
425lbs of static thrust out of the MT propeller at 3000 RPM which was
measured by Ivan Shaw with a spring balance tied to a tree !.( and he was
prepared to EXCLAIM about that !)

We are currently delayed due to my test pilot being self grounded on a
medical count until end of October so I'm busy making good what were
temporary "eye brow" scoops on the cowl cooling air intakes to collect more
prop. wash air in ground running and airborne speeds less than 70kts.
We have climbed without overheating for a full 5 minute period at 80kts and
continued at 70 kts and done a two hour endurance without overheating  . so
I think I've got the intakes right , but I'm putting some extension flap
into the air stream on to the hot air exit scoop to create a vacuum/ vortex
to drag more hot air out of the lower cowl.
Until everything is settled down and constant I don't believe in any
"firewall" episodes to prove any figures !
Regards
Bob H  G-PTAG