Re: [c-a] Panel power jack for hand-helds . . .

Subject: Re: [c-a] Panel power jack for hand-helds . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 08:20:26

>> >What size wire and fuse for cigar lighter
>> >type 12v outlet?  to be used for portable radio or gps.
>>

>I just had to replace the fuse of the cigar lighter in my Caddillac.
>It's 20A.

   But don't forget . . . fuses and breakers protect wire.
   Wire carries current for the loads you anticipate running
   from the circuit. A hand-held radio would be very hard
   pressed to draw more than 1 amp from any source. Wiring
   your hand held power jack with 22AWG wire fused at 2A
   will be quite adequate to the task for which the jack
   was installed. That is unless you plan to light cigaretts
   from it when not using the radios in which case you'll
   need 14AWG and 15A . . .

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com