info: Katana landed out with 912 engine failure....

Subject: info: Katana landed out with 912 engine failure....
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 20:57:10
Just a point of interest to those Rotax owners out there.....

Here in Ottawa, one of the Katana's I rented had it's 912 quit on another
renter on Thursday, requiring the instructor in the plane to land in a local
field. No injuries, and only moderate damage to the plane. First real engine
failure for this FBO in 8 years of running a fleet of 5 Katana's for
training (the only other one was caused by an oil-line chaffing blowout).

I'm posting this here only because I know this outfit run's a very well
maintained commercial fleet, and the engine in question failed
catastrophically with a thrown rod (as per a phone conversation with the
FBO). The plane is being looked out now in detail and I'll try an post a
more detailed failure analysis when/if it's available.

Cheers,
Pete
"Saving my pennies Europa wannabe"

ps- good thing I flew the same plane last Sunday.... and not last thurdsay
:-)