Panel power jack for hand-helds . . .

Subject: Panel power jack for hand-helds . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 20:34:53
>What size wire and fuse for cigar lighter
>type 12v outlet?  to be used for portable radio or gps.

  How come such a hoggy connector? Cigar lighters are
  designed for 10A or better . . . and of course their
  diameter is commensurate with the size of the lighter
  that plugs into them. They're well suited to lighting
  cigars but by-in-large, don't make a good electrical
  connector in a car much less an airplane.

  You can see a photo of some Radio Shack parts that
  are much more suited to this task at:

  http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/hh_pwr.jpg

  Yes, I know it's preferable to have the powered
  pins be female as opposed to the male pins . . . these
  critters don't come this way. The risk of unintentional
  shorting is quite small (the plug body that fits
  into the jack housing is all plastic on the end) and
  even if you DID get a short, this appication should be
  fused at 3A or less.

  Cigar lighters depend on friction to hold plug
  in place, this connector set uses a metal retaining
  ring threaded down on threads for the jack. It doesn't
  take much corrosion or tension on a cirgar lighter plug
  to make it disconnect . . . the combo I've suggeseted
  is smaller and VERY positive engagement both electrically
  and mechanically.

  Just cut the cigar lighter plug off your hand-held's
  power cord and install the new connector. Quite often
  you can purchase mating connectors for the external
  power jack on your handheld and fabricate a power
  cord unique to your airplane . . . most of the time
  they need to be shorter than the usual automotive
  power cable when used in a cockpit.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com