RE: Re: Vacuum System

Subject: RE: Re: Vacuum System
From: Fitzhugh Joshua <JFitzhugh@wmcd.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:37:43
Venturi tubes seem a great solution for IFR redundancy, but with the little
knowledge I have I am concerned about icing and drag penalty.  I heard
somewhere that venturi type vacuum systems actually can ice up before the
airframe, thanks to the refrigerator-like expansion of air in the venturi
throat.  Anyone know of ways to avoid this risk?

By way of intro., I am an avid Europa fan ("pre-Europa owner", please) who
has probably spent as many hours over the past two years dreaming about
building and flying one Mr. Shaw's little critters as I will (hopefully)
spend putting it together.  It's a wonder I haven't been fired yet, all the
time I spend trolling your various websites (Tony K., of course, gets a
special mention).  My current hope is to come back from Oshkosh next August
with a reason to spend a lot more time in the garage.

BTW, any Europa builders/owners in the US mid-Atlantic/DC area?  I'd love a
chance to see one up close.

Joshua D. Fitzhugh
Williams, Mullen, Clark & Dobbins
900 17th St., NW, Suite 700