Re: Vacuum System

Subject: Re: Vacuum System
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:31:48
 <39.aa2aaa7.270392b5@aol.com>
 <022701c028db$1a6bdfc0$18210a18@bllvu1.wa.home.com>

Just a passing thought....will check my sources of replacement 12 volt vacuum
motors used in motorhome central vacs, I know the until is about 80% more
inches of vacuum then needed, but the motor does draw a fair amount of
current at 14
volts dc..  Perhaps using an IC regulator to reduce the voltage to around 8
volts  would bring the current to an acceptable level and enough vacuum.
"TBO" for the brushes is rated 300-500 hours.

  I used to build electrically driven standby vacuum systems . . . they
  are NOT as dependable as an engine driven vacuum system . . . this is
  why they were popularized as a standby. It sat in the airplane unused
  until needed. The most dependable is a venturi . . . no moving parts.
  Harder to de-ice tho. Given that one's #1 mission upon encountering
  ice is to get out of ice, then perhaps de-ice isn't that important.

  See latest issue AOPA pilot where a pilot writes about an instrument
  course he took. The goal was to get him rated in 10 days. The first thing
  the instructor did was cover up the attitude gyro saying, "we won't
  need this."

  I used to fly shotgun for a co-worker's instrument proficiency
  work . . . he would cover up BOTH gyros and we'd go out to shoot
  approaches to minimums in the typcial KS bumpy crosswinds. And by
  the way, this was NOT a "no gyro" approach using timed turns from
  the ground. We went out at lunch time to fly Mid Continent Airport
  mixed in with all the big guys and totally on his own. He'd
  nail those two needles together and track them right down to the
  runway every time. Flying IFR with gyros is not difficult . . .
  it's just a different way of doing it. Doing it well gives you
  more options about equipment expectations and puts the odds of
  living to fly another day decidedly in your favor.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com