Re: Landing Gear Frame too tight!!

Subject: Re: Landing Gear Frame too tight!!
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:19:31
>  Having cut the holes for the landing gear
>frame in the firewall, we have found that it doesn't really fit
>properly. In order to force it in, we would have to knock it in with a
>mallet, but that would surely put a strain on the welded joints that may
>cause them to crack perhaps? I dont think that they were designed with
>those stresses in mind.

True,
however a certain amount of miss fit will be OK. I believe , (humble
opinion of course). Provided the gear frame isn't loaded too near its yield
point, (most unlikely I guess not having done any sums,) the load on the
module will cause the epoxy glass layups slowly relax over a few days or
weeks and move to cancel out the stress. Careful warming with a fan heater
would speed it up but I would think that normal moderate workshop
temperature will be enough.

Perhaps Andy would have a look at the stressing of the gear mount and check
this for us? My understanding of the maths language was never very good.

Graham