Re: Flap connectors

Subject: Re: Flap connectors
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:41:40
John --

The corresponding plates are TGW-21, and yes total 4 plates.  They're
shaped more like the others, rather than "L" shaped.  The flap's hinge
plate rides in between, with appropriate centering hdwe, and a (big,
draggy) Tufnol stiffening block.

Was all a bit much to me, and appears to have been the easiest design
patch.  I cut single hinge plates from 1/4" aluminum as a substitute.
They're installed between wood spacers that fit between the W-18's.
Seems to have identical resistance to side-movement to the factory
arrangement.  I may even scrap the sliding stop arrangement.  As
practical matter, the flap needs to be secured in the up position
whilst rigging, and I have a simple chord-length, bungee cord with
padded hooks to do that.

The idea to do this was prompted by picturing the width of a fairing
that will go out there.  Unnecessay drag.  Also, Andy Draper suggested
that the hinge out there may be a good place to mount (sort of)
horizontally) the pitot/static tubes.  1/4" will be a better mounting
platform.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063, N3EU