New subscriber intro

Subject: New subscriber intro
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:56:22

Hello, all-

I'm contemplating purchasing an Europa XS motorglider kit shortly.  I've
been impressed by the basic kit and the finish quality of the
builder-completed planes that I've had opportunity
to view.  I'll be test flying one in a few days.

One of my intentions for this project is to attempt some experiments in
cockpit noise reduction (I know what ANR headsets can do - earplugs are
actually better for certain
frequencies!)  My initial measurements of sound levels outside and
inside the aircraft show a noticeable reduction vs. your typical Cessna
150/172.  I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experimented with
noise reduction methods, including:
    thicker windscreens
    noise blocking/absorbing materials
    vibration dampening mounting methods
    cockpit ventilation ducting and intake positioning
    intersection-induced noise sources
    exhaust muffler systems
    prop selection

Thanks!